The urgency of spreading the Gospel in our nation and beyond. We’re in the last days, with the need to make the most of every opportunity.
Was a joint service led by the young people and youth leaders, with the church. Young people took part in the technical side (PA, laptop, video projector), the worship (the band), the sketch, serving the Communion (with the Pastor leading) and readings. At a later service one of our young people is speaking (14 year-old, with support before)
We also had a DJ playing (one of the young people) before, during and after the service.
Feel free to change what you want and need to!
1. Welcome & prayer, preparing our hearts to worship – being totally open to what God wants to do
3. Bible reading – 1 Thessalonians 5.1-11:
Now, brothers and sisters, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. While people are saying, ‘Peace and safety’, destruction will come on them suddenly, as labour pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.
But you, brothers and sisters, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief. You are all children of the light and children of the day. We do not belong to the night or to the darkness. So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be awake and sober. For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, get drunk at night. But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet. For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him. Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.
4. Sketch – taken from this site – use our ‘Sinner’ sketch of our ‘Witness’ sketch.
5. Talk on 1 Thess 5.1-11. Suggested points:
a. If you are too comfy, get un-comfy. Get concerned. Get out there. Pray and take action!
b. Don’t live in darkness, be aware these are evil times
c. Bible says take God’s protection (we’re obviously going to need it) & encourage each other – suggests people could be discouraged so need to encourage each other
d. Differences between light and the dark found in this 1 Thessalonians 5 – in no particular order:
|Hope of being saved (salvation)||Anger|
6. Put together a PowerPoint Presentation – series of images relating to Matthew 24.6-14 (which is all about the end times) – with first of all the Bible text and then an image relating to it. For example, ‘You will hear about wars and stories of wars..’ followed by an image of war.
7. Time of silence. Sit still for a bit and ask God to speak to you and show you his heart for people, ideas for evangelism and how to live life well as a Christian.
8. Groups for prayer. Prayer is about ideas for how the good news about Jesus can get ‘out there’ especially when many people can be hostile or unwelcome to the Bible.
9. Worship – however you do worship.
10. Video Clip – Robbie Reindeer and the Lost Tribe of Vikings. It’s the clip where Robbie has fallen down the mountain on his way to re-find the lost tribe of Vikings. It starts when Robbie awakes and ends when Magnus (one of the vikings) says, ‘Someone should so something.’ then another Magnus says, ‘Maybe somebody will’ and it fades to black.
11. Group feedback from what you’ve learned.
12. Bible Reading – Ephesians 5.15-20:
Be very careful, then, how you live – not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
a. Time is coming when you are going to stand out or go with crowd and reject Jesus. The choice is yours. Story of Russian gunman going into a church with gun – saying ‘right who’s a Christian’ in order to separate true believers from pretend ones. He then told them he was a Christian and needed to do that to get rid of spies.
b. Take every opportunity for doing good. Ask God. Be sensitive to Spirit. Ask for wisdom.
c. Be filled with Holy Spirit or alcoholic spirit. One or the other.
d. Spiritual songs. Don’t be polluted by world’s songs. They offer problems not solutions. Hopelessness not hope. Songs should teach and reach.
e. We’ve got to read the Word, be open to the Holy Spirit, pray on all occasions with all kinds of prayers (Ephesians 6.18). Note this says all kinds of prayers – one way isn’t necessarily more valid than another!
13. Prayer Time – open this up to people to pray out loud?
15. Ending prayer and Worship – Beautiful One
As ever, pray before, expect God to move, be completely open to the Holy Spirit, ask God to speak through his Word. In this service the Holy Spirit really moved at the end but this was in no way down to us or what we did, except in our willingness to be open and obey.