What are ‘Elijah Prayers’?
Simply put they are a way of focusing our prayers, using the experiences of Elijah.
This was used for a prayer session so we thought this would work well for you too!
There are two sheets (up to you which one you want). One sheet has seven suggested prayer thoughts. Alternatively if you don’t like those or want to use your own / get young people to think of their own, there is a blank sheet.
Print off a copy of the Elijah prayers for each young person and encourage them to take it away if they wanrt it!
Ideas For Praying
– Each idea can be used as prayer for your yoiung people, other people or situations
– You can be interactive with how you pray for each point – prayers out loud, written prayers, prayers in the middle and then you all lay hands on the prayers as one person prays over them etc.
– Maybe have a time of reflection each time where people can pray in their head or ask God if there’s anything else to pray for – get some chilled out worship in the background.
The Bible verses – James 5.17-18
Elijah was a human being, even as we are. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops.
Don’t also forget the previous verses which talk about us laying hands on the sick and them recovering. Plus confessing our sins to one another so that we are healed.
James 5.13-16 – Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
Download a PDF of the Elijah Prayers with prayer points (2 over 1 A4 page)
Download a PDF of the Elijah Prayers with blank space (2 over 1 A4 page)
Here are the prayer points taken from the life of Elijah…
- Prayer for the truth, faith and fire of God – revival
- Prayer for provision
- Prayer for protection and restoration
- Mountain (and cloud!) moving prayer
- Prayer for healing
- Prayer for the supernatural and courage
- Prayer for a double portion and to pass on the fire!
Of course, you can use other prayer points if you want to or if you don’t like the ones above.
These relate to seven pictures that are on the PDF downloads
- Elijah, the fire of God and prophets of Baal (1 Kings 18.16-40)
- Elijah fed by the ravens – and then the widow (1 Kings 17.2-16)
- Elijah helped by an angel (1 Kings 19.1-9)
- Elijah praying for rain (1 Kings 17.1 and 1 Kings 18.41-45)
- Elijah raises boy from dead (1 Kings 17.17-24)
- Prayer for the supernatural and courage(1 Kings 18.46)
- Prayer for a double portion and to pass on the fire! (2 Kings 2.1-18)