https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/families (accessed January 2019)
- In 2017 there were 19.0 million families in the UK, a 15% increase from 16.6 million in 1996.
- With 12.9 million families, the married or civil partner couple family remains the most common in 2017, with the cohabiting couple family growing the fastest.
- In the UK there were 27.2 million households in 2017, resulting in an average household size of 2.4.
- In 2017, there were 3.9 million people living alone aged 16 to 64 years; a larger proportion were male (58.5%); similarly there were 3.8 million people living alone aged 65 and over but a larger proportion (66.5%) were female.
- Young males were more likely to be living with their parents than young females; around 32% of males aged 20 to 34 years were living with their parents compared with 20% of females aged 20 to 34 years in 2017.
- In 2017, the most common family type in the UK was the married or civil partner couple family (12.9 million families).
In the beginning
Christians believe that God created the world. There is a tremendous amount of evidence to back up this claim, Christians don’t just believe some fantasy, despite what some people who don’t like Christianity may say! However you believe things in the world started, it had to start somewhere!
In the Bible, it talks about Adam as being the first man. In the beginning, he was in the garden with the animals, but on his own. God looked on and said, ‘it is not good for man to be alone.’ Right from the start of time, Christians believe that it is God’s heart that people should not be alone.
Movie Clip – Madagascar 2
Chapter 8 (Timings: 20:44 – 22:25). Alex’s mum realises who he is and he is welcomed back into the pride.
(Timings: 23:05 – 25:50). In this clip, Marty, Gloria and Melman also realise they have family.
Alternatively, run the whole clip (Timings: 20:44 – 25:50).
Movie Clip – Evan Almighty
DVD Chapter 13. Timings: 57.21 (as scene cuts from Evan waking up to the TV in the bar) – 1.01.20 (when Evan and his wife kiss on board the ark).
Point here is that Evan’s family came back to help him, stand alongside him. As his wife says to him, to be there ‘side by side’. We should do the same with Jesus, as he is always standing alongside us. Key line, “everybody entered the ark, side by side” with ‘God’ encouraging Joan to do the same for Evan.
Look through the games section of myfishbites or do team / competetive games you can think of!
Tallest Free-Standing Structure
1. In groups with pieces of toilet roll, a roll of tape, paper, lollipop sticks etc. The group have to make the tallest free standing structure that supports an egg
2. The group has to simply make the tallest free standing structure
3. The group has just newspaper and tape and has to make the tallest free standing structure
4. Combine these ideas and make different kinds of shapes or different challenges.. the strongest bridge, the best Eiffel Tower etc.
Stories of being alone
Can you remember what it was like to get lost? Were you ever out shopping with your family or friends in a large supermarket and you got lost? Do you remember how you felt, maybe you panicked a bit or looked around for whoever was looking after you.
Or maybe you’ve been to a party where you didn’t know many people and felt a bit left out / or been in lessons where there are none of your mates. You probably felt lonely, left alone, alienated, a bit vulnerable.
We all have a story of when we felt lonely, or when we’ve seen other people who were lonely. But how many times did we look out for them?
Black Eyed Peas – Where Is The Love
In this classic old Black Eyed Peas song, there were many questions asked that are relevant today..
What’s wrong with the world, mama.
People livin’ like they ain’t got no mamas..
With ongoin’ sufferin’ as the youth die youngBlack Eyed Peas – ‘Where Is The Love?’
So ask yourself is the lovin’ really gone
So I could ask myself really what is goin’ wrong
In this world that we livin’ in people keep on givin’ in
Makin’ wrong decisions, only visions of them dividends
Not respectin’ each other, deny thy brother
A war is goin’ on but the reason’s undercover
I feel the weight of the world on my shoulder
As I’m gettin’ older, y’all, people gets colder
Most of us only care about money makin’
Selfishness got us followin’ our wrong direction
Wrong information always shown by the media
Negative images is the main criteria
Infecting the young minds faster than bacteria
Kids wanna act like what they see in the cinema
Yo’, whatever happened to the values of humanity
Whatever happened to the fairness in equality
Instead in spreading love we spreading animosity
Lack of understanding, leading lives away from unity
That’s the reason why sometimes I’m feelin’ under
That’s the reason why sometimes I’m feelin’ down
There’s no wonder why sometimes I’m feelin’ under
Gotta keep my faith alive till love is found
End by saying
Today, even if you don’t believe in God, let me challenge you to make a difference in someone’s life. Did you know that the only way to be really happy ultimately is to live for other people and not for yourself. Selfishness brings self destruction. Being selfless brings satisfaction. If you want to build good relationships, good family (with whoever that may be for you), you have to first love others. You’ll be amazed at the love that will come back 🙂