These were a series of questions written by young people and answered by young people. Each group wrote a question and another group answered it.. this has had no real editing and little youth leader content
QUESTION - “If God created the world why did he make earthquakes and volcanoes to spoil it?”
- “What makes you think that God made volcanoes?”
- “[Problems caused by] naughty people throwing chemical waste into rivers.”
QUESTION - “Why do you believe in God?”
- “Experience – God revealing”
QUESTION - “What does Christianity have to offer beyond people singing songs in church?”
- “A relationship with God – help in this life and eternity in heaven.”
QUESTION - “Who is God?”
- “God is all around us in everything that we see or do.
- He is in the hearts of Christians.”
- “He created life and can end it and will judge what happens to everyone.
- He’s like a father and mother. He’s a spirit but came in human form once as Jesus (33 yrs).
- Can see God in the creation he made all around us.”
- “Even well known scientists believe in a greater being.
- Characteristics: supernatural”
QUESTION - “Why do good people die when there are still bad people in the world?”
- “People have chosen to do bad.
- Devil tempting people.
- Things need to happen.”
- “Bad things – good always comes out of them.
- Sept 11 – People joined together
- Jessica and Holly (2 young girls tragically murdered) – Brought people to God”
QUESTION - “Why do people not perform miracles / have faith?”
-“If we haven’t asked, God won’t give it to us (1 Corinthians 12:31).
- God gives us all different gifts of the Spirit, eg. hospitality (cooking), preaching, prophecy, wisdom, healing, (1 Corinthians 12).
- They might be afraid of what people might think.
- They may not know how to have faith.
- Not know how to explain their faith, but God will love them and help them.
QUESTION - “If God exists why doesn’t he give evidence like a miracle in front of my eyes?”
- “Matthew 13 v 58, ‘So he did not do many miracles there because they had no faith.’
- Mark 8 v 11 – 12, ‘The Pharisees came to Jesus and began to ask him questions. Hoping to trap him, they asked Jesus for a miracle from God. Jesus sighed deeply and said “Why do you people ask for a miracle as a sign? I tell you the truth, no sign will be given to you”.’
- Jesus knew they wouldn’t believe even if he did a miracle.”
QUESTION - “Why do we believe?”
- “We believe that the world is too well put together to just have happened by chance, and it must have had a maker, someone who wanted it to happen.”
QUESTION - “What’s the point in living and going to heaven?”
- “Life on earth gives people a choice which way to go. It tests your faith, and heaven is a reward for those who have lived for God.
- As you live, you can aim for heaven and aim to live your life in the right way, which is a reason for living.”
QUESTION - “Why be a Christian?”
1. To be saved from hell –
Matthew 10 : 28, ‘Don’t be afraid of people, who can kill the body but cannot kill the soul. The only one you should fear is the one who can destroy the soul and the body in hell.’
Revelation 21 : 8
‘But cowards, those who refuse to believe, who do evil things… all these will have a place in the lake of burning sulphur. This is the second death.’
What is the point of a life without meaning?
2. It gives you security:
- God loves us – John 3:16
- You get eternal life – Romans 6:23
- God will always look after you
QUESTION - “Why is there so much suffering in the world if God loves us so much?”
- “God gave us free will and people abused it. God is hurt when we go against him but because he loves us he will not interfere at every opportunity.
- The ultimate way of suffering is in hell, but God sent his Son to take your suffering on that cross with him so you can have eternity in heaven, paradise.
- Habakkuk 1: 1 – 12 says that God has something planned for you, Jesus, so suffering can be defeated.”
QUESTION - “If God is all-powerful, can he suffer?”
- “Jesus wept”
- Jesus is God, he suffered the most painful death ever invented.
- He ‘so loved the world that he sent his only Son’ who he had to kill. That hurt both Jesus and the Father.
- When someone is sent to hell it would hurt him, [God].”
QUESTION - “If God loves everyone so much, how come he sends people to hell?”
- “God gives us free choice to love Him or not. So if somebody chose not to love Him or even hate Him would they want to go to heaven anyway? Would they feel comfortable?”
- “God created us to have a relationship with Himself. If we reject God, then we would not find not find any peace in spending eternity with a loving God who we do not know.”